Mga Kabuuang Pageview

Sabado, Hulyo 5, 2014

Sagada: Repost

This is a re-post from the previous blog I'd been part of. I wish I could retrieve all of the travelogues I posted online especially those that help local guides earn profit like Kuya Rene from Laoag City. It breaks my heart whenever he sends me text messages to thank me for posting his contact information in the blog and how that helped him increase income through tri-cycle tour services, and helped his family. I'd been thinking of a re-write but time is my ultimate enemy. Anyway, I'm glad to find this link old write-up, and so I'm sharing. Please read on.




Sagada Invasion

July 2, 2012 at 7:46am




It's been three (3) months when I went to Sagada for a holy week trip. It's been a while but I just got the time today to write an account for that trip. Well, as they say 'It's better late than never' so here's the write - up!

Rich in culture, traditions and natural resources, Sagada has become one of the tourist destinations in the Philippines. It is mostly visited because of its scenic views and the famous hanging coffins, the latter is the primary reason why my interest was caught. I wanted to see the hanging coffins myself!

My group, The Backpackers, initially planned to come to see Sagada sometime in March but couldn't make it due to conflict in schedules among the members. I would still want to go and since I tried travelling alone, I planned to have another version of solo backpacking. I searched online on howto get there and I found a page about a public tour invitation to Sagada-Banaue for 3 days and 2 nights. It was an open tour organized by a private group, Tripinas. I couldn't let the opportunity to slip so I booked the trip with a happy face :).

I didn't know anyone in the tour. I got that chance to meet them all on the day of our departure to Sagada. I met them at the assembly area (Mcdonald's branch, Mindanao Avenue, QC) at 8pm of April 4th. There were a total of 35 guests plus 4 van drivers and Ana, the organizer. We were divided into groups and were distributed to designated vans. Four vans took us to Sagada. I was seated beside the driver's seat, that was my assigned seat. It was a bit scary at first when we started the ride cuz we traveled at night and we passed along Kennon Road. I admit I was scared cuz I know how dangerous that road is and we were travelling at night but Kuya  Emman, the driver, was very careful and he's taking all the precautions. I guess he's the best driver I've ever met. I didn't feel the zig-zag and that was a WOW. Kuya Emman called it a "swabe" drive.

It's part of Benguet.





First day in Sagada 

We reached Sagada at around 7am on April 5th. It was a long trip and it caused me backpain but seeing the highways on the sides of mountains, the zigzag, the rice terraces, wow! they paid off all the backpain! Over-all, if I'm going to assess the road trip, it was really a joy-ride. I could not easily subside the excitement!

Upon reaching the town, we went directly to Sagada GuestHouse where we stayed for 2 nights. The hotel was clean and there's wifi :).

The first thing we did as a group was meet our local tour guides in an orientation. They introduced us to the Sagada culture and briefed us about the people's behavior and certain norms. After the orientation, we went out to see what's in Sagada. First stop was the Sagada Weaving. We were taught some basics on how the Sagada people do it. Then we went to an old Episcopal chruch which was established during American era. We also went to the Eco Park Valley where the cemetery is located. Then, finally, my most awaited - hanging coffins!

The hanging coffins

From Eco Valley, we did some trekking to get to the hanging coffins. We passed along hilly parts. I was so excited to see the hanging coffins that I wanted to be first in line but I couldn't simply do that. I met friends in the trip and I wanted to walk with them too. Just like me, they were so thrilled to see the hanging coffins, Sagada's old way of burrying people. It's amazing to see those coffins are still hanging on cliffs and some inside the caves. The people of Sagada truly preserve what they value including the dead people. They didn't even transfer those hanging coffins to mostly appropriate place like a regular cemetery that we have now a days. At this point, the Igorots, cultural name for people in Sagada, are practicing the modern way of burial so there is no more hanging coffins. According to the guide, the Igorots stopped the old way of burrying the dead when they were educated by the missionaries who founded the Episcopal church.



It's part of Benguet.

The hanging coffinsThe hanging coffins
The hanging coffinsThe hanging coffins
Trek to Eco ParkTrek to Eco Park
the Episcopal Church

According to the guide, this bell was shipped to Sagada during American colonization

The Orange Plantation


The Cave Connection

Spelunking is also one of the reasons why many people want to visit Sagada. I'm not sure if there are other caves in Sagada but what's known includes Sumaguing and Lumiang caves. I heard from our BP Lead Ivan that the cave connection in Sagada is very difficult as you have to enter in one cave and come out from the other cave. There are also parts where spelunkers have to do some rappelling. In my mind I said I want to try it!

The van took us to one place near Lumiang Cave. We walked down to the entrance of the cave and at the entrance I saw plenty of coffins placed in pile. I could imagine how many coffins we were to see the moment we got inside the cave, a bit scary yes but knowing they are all dead people so I said they are harmless :) Besides, there were so many spelunkers at that day.

my group :)





As soon as the group entered the cave, that was it! There was no going back! From the cave entranc, I tried to see what's inside but it was just a big black hole at first. I was expecting bats to come out but there wasn't anyone that showed up. Our guides then began lighting the petromax as they called it. My attention was focused on the coffins on different sides of the caves. According to Jonathan, one of the guides, some of the coffins inside the cave are about 500 years old, whoaahh! So that's how strong or durable the pine woods are!

Lumiang Cave entrance where our cave connection began
Thanks God I fit in!

Inside the cave you'll see different rock formations and you will really wonder how God created caves in such a beautiful shapes with rough and smooth textures. There are rocks that look like an elephant, a squash and so many other shapes. It's amazing, isn't it? At first I was mesmerized by the structures inside the cave but when the group reached the part when we had to do some rappelling or when I needed to stretch my legs to get into the other side of the rock, I felt a bit regretful as to why I even dared to do the cave connection! But I'm a backpacker so I couldn't put my spirit down that easy. I won't be at peace anyway if I would go  back to Manila without trying the cave connection. So the show must go on, as they say! My group didn't know I had serious knee injury but I think I managed to hide it from them. They didn't notice I was having difficulty stretching my left leg or to hop from one leg to another. Well, I managed to get outside the cave alive, just like others :). I think that's all that matters!

The RappellingThe Rappelling

urgh! I had to stretch my left knee :(urgh! I had to stretch my left knee :(
the hardest part

When you do caving or spelunking, you usually expect danger zones and get dirty and wet and get hurt. I knew that. I was prepared mentally so when I sensed danger was about to come, the adrenaline to conquer it just poured in especially on parts where there was no rope to hold on to and I had to go down or up or cross sidewards and rocks were just so wet and slippery. That was the toughest and most challenging I'd ever had with caves. But just like taking an ascent to the summit, it's always difficult along the way but the moment you get into the top, the wildest feeling of true bravery and the priceless reward of success will naturally come out and emancipate from within. And this is one beauty of life and being able to live on it without fear or restrictions!

Back to the caves, there were parts where rocks are covered by the bats' poops. It was yucky to put your hands on rocks and touch the smelly bats' feces but if you don't want to fall and die, you don't have any option but touch them. I did some pyschological trick. I imagined touching clays or flours on rocks instead of thinking I had poops in my hands. That worked.

Doing cave connection usually takes 2-3 hours but my group was not that fast and experts in spelunking. It took us about 5-6 hours to complete the connection. When we came out of the Sumaguing cave it was already night so we didn't get the chance to see Mt Tirad Pass from Ampacao.





Vans were waiting to pick us up and take us back to the hotel. First day at Sagada was really tiring but it's all worth the fun!


Second day 

The destination was set to the famous Bomod-Ok Falls in Sagada. I love water falls too. For me the beauty of nature is stunning and water falls is part of it. I couldn't wait to see it. But before that, the local folks of Sagada dressed in their traditional costumes fascinated me. They were on street practicing their dance number to be performed in a competition in Bontoc, the capital of Mountain Province. It's nice to see people in traditional costumes and the color combination of red and white with touch of black is just perfect for a refreshing day.

The Bomod-ok Water Falls

It took us about 2 hours to reach the prettiest water falls I've ever seen in my whole life! On our way to the water falls, we passed along orange plantation in Sagada. The scene I saw resembles my farmville in facebook :) It was greeny. We also passed along the residential area of the Igorots and the rice terraces. People there live in a very simple life and they mostly depend on agriculture as source of income. I know there are mines in Sagada but I think the people do not benefit from it considering the way of life they have. Only few have concrete houses. Speaking of houses, Igorots mostly use pine woods and they cover them with galvanized metal. According to the guide, it's one way of protecting the pinewoods against moist.

As we traveresed along the rice terraces, I noticed hanging long cables from afar. I thought they were for electricity but the guide said it's for water system. I was like wow! Water cables? Good thing they discovered that. Just imagine how difficult life seems to be if they don't have such water system! They would need to climb mountains jusy to get water from its source and I bet it's tens kilometers away.

On the way to Bomod-Ok Falls

Anyways, after 2 hours of walking under the heat of the sun, we finally reached the Bomod-Ok falls and I was really so amazed and bewitched by the beauty of the water falls. The water flows so strong that I could feel so much power in it. It was so relaxing and the water is so inviting that I wanted to go and dive!






When we reched the water falls, there were already plenty of people on picnic and many were swimming. It was really crowded. The first thing I did was find a place where I could sit and take some photos. My group enjoyed picture taking too, like I did.

Aside from trourists, residents especially kids go to the water falls too for business, thus adding to the crowd. These kids offer a massage for 20 pesos. I tried the massage but as expected, kids are not good at that. I had five (5) female kids doing the massage for me. I just loved having kids around me and they were lovely as well. I talked to those kids, had funny conversation. The oldest among them was only 8 and she said she doesn't go to school. I was saddened by that fact. I always believe that quality education is always the most dependable foundation to make difference. I hope the parents of those kids would realize that.

the kids who gave me a soft massage

So it's time for swimming! Oh boy, the water was so cold, I was chilling to death! For divers/swimmers, it's a perfect place to be. I'm not sure of the exact depth but I'm pretty sure it was over 6 feet, good for diving, though it's a bit dangerous cuz if you get near the area where water falls, it could get you drowned.


Sagada's Yoghurt House and Rock Inn Cafe

After Bomod-ok, the group had free time to go to other places in Sagada. Others got busy shopping for souveneir items. Others went to the museum while I and my roommates went to Yoghurt's House first. I didn't like their yoghurt or maybe it's because I am not a fan of yoghurt. Anyway, taste was different so it's all worth the try!

During our last night in Sagada, the organizer brought us to Rock Inn Cafe for a small gathering. They said it was in that hotel when Judy Ann and Piolo Pascual's movie was shot. I forgot the movie title. It was a nice place. We had a bonefire that kept us warm. It was perfect for lovers :)


Third Day 

We only had three days. It was not sufficient for some but I guess I had enough. Three days on vacation in such a wonderful place is already rewarding. I would be contented for that.

So it's the final day. Everybody woke up so early in the morning and began packing things up, getting ready to leave.

Bystanders waiting for the sunrise at Kiltepan


Kiltepan View

We left the guesthouse at around 5 in the morning. That was so early cuz we wanted to see the sunrise view at Kiltepan. They said it gives a very perfect view of a sunrise, similar to what we see in movies or books. When we reached the area, there were so many bystanders waiting for the sunrise. We were unfortunate cuz it was very foggy and cloudy that morning so we couldn't see the sunrise. After waiting for over an hour, we decided to leave. We knew by the time we left, the sun had arisen already so it would be usless to extend for some hours just like most people did.








Bontoc - Mt Data Restaurant - Baguio

We were supposed to stop at Banaue to see its famous rice terraces and pass along Nueva Vizcaya back to Manila. That was the original plan. However, we could not get through Bontoc. There was a festival on going when we reached the town and roads were closed so the drivers decided to turn back and take Baguio route back to Manila. I was a bit frustrated cuz I didn't see the Banaue rice terraces, but maybe next time when I get the chance to travel again!

Bontoc Stop Over

The group had breakfast at Mt Data Hotel and Restaurant located on top of the mountain. It's a beautiful place, with a scenic view. I was thinking of having a date on a hill top restaurant. I think that would be a bit romantic :), just thinking!

We reached Manila at around 8pm April 8th. I'm sure everyone had a very good time. It was an awesome vacation with adventuristic adrenaline! It's also nice to meet people and be friends with them. Now I'm thinking where will be the next destination!


Thanks God I fit in!
the hardest part
my group :)




the coffins inside the cavet
Bystanders waiting for the sunrise at Kiltepan
Bontoc Stop Over





at Rock Inn Hotelat Rock Inn Hotel

Road to SagadaRoad to Sagada

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento