Mga Kabuuang Pageview

Sabado, Agosto 31, 2013

Mt Mayon ATV: My First Driving Experience


An ATV tour to Mount Mayon had been the primary reason why I wanted to visit Legazpi City in Albay. Like I said in an earlier post on Daraga write-up, I'd seen some friends doing an ATV tour and they looked so great on a vehicle ride! In a vernacular expression, it's "astig!" and that's the thing that I wanted to try this year, along with Mt Apo ultimate climb. When I had the Mayon ATV listed on my bucketlist, I put the trip on my August vacation planner; but when my boyfriend told me he wanted to see a volcano, I knew it by then that an ATV tour would happen very soon. And so it did.


I checked online about the cost of an ATV tour and found a page in facebook but it was a bit costly. Rental fee for the ATV is 1800 php for a one-seater vehicle and one still has to pay for the registration and guide fees. So I really think a 2K/head tour that's being offered by Tourific Travel Services in Albay is a good deal as that fee includes all the registration and guide fees, safety gears, vehicle rental fee, and a round trip van transfer from pick-up location to the jump - off point. 



The ATVs
There are several centers and tour groups in Legazpi City that provide ATV tour to Mayon Volcano. If you plan to do it on your own, you may coordinate with the tourism office of Legazpi City to get complete details including contact info and addresses. If I may suggest though, I would always recommended a guided tour for worry free trip. You don't have to trouble yourself with usual backpacking things like how to get to the ATV Camp site, what to ride, who to contact, and the like.








Right after our Lignon Hill trip, a service van brought us to the ATV site for registration and waiver. ATV tour is a bit extraneous and risky activity so a waiver is required before they will let you in. 


Safety First

After the registration, we were asked to try out the ATV first for five (5) minutes or until we got comfortable with the vehicle.



ATV 101
I had never driven a motor vehicle before so initially I just wanted to hop on my bf's vehicle and do the usual back-ride thingy that I always get every time a friend or my sister Eiffer would ask me to ride with them. However, my bf always wants me to learn new things and oftentimes pushes me to do things which I thought I could never do. Geee! I was reluctant the first time 'cuz I didn't even know how to start the engine. Gord was patient enough to teach me the basics like when and how to release gas, proper feet position etc. I tried driving within the training ground but after several attempts, I still didn't feel confident to do it. I got tensed more often and I was almost thinking of giving up. But I remember the notion that everything starts at a difficult phase. Nothing starts so easy. My Bf kept on telling me as well that when I get used to driving I'll love it, and I know that. It's the same as mountain climbing! So, I had to do it! Besides, it's what I really wanted so I had to break a leg!



When I was ready for the ride, we then began the actual ATV tour. It was around 10 in the morning when we left the jump-off point. We had a perfect time in a day to do the ATV as it was sunny. I felt lucky to get such a very kind weather for a new outdoor experience!


Mt Mayon : on our way to the base camp

The terrain started with a smooth surface so at first it was easy to drive the ATV. It was also favorable to me as I was starting to get more comfortable with my vehicle. 



When I learned how to manage and maneuver the ATV, I became more excited with it! I didn't mind the intense heat of the sun nor mind getting wet from the river water. All I wanted to do at that point was to drive as fast as I could in order for me to create water waves on the terrain.  




However, it has never been recommended to drive fast as that may lead to injury. I remember the guide asking me to slow down twice, and all I could say was "ooppps! Sorry!" but I had to heed the warning or advice for my own safety. 




It was a quite long ride that we needed to make some stop-overs in an open field. We stopped for video and picture taking and also for a short break. Just imagine being exposed to the sun for more than an hour. That is dehydrating!   


We stopped for a video cut

Picture-Picture

It may be tiring to do an ATV especially when you are not a driving enthusiast person but it's a "must-try" experience to do. Similar to other outdoor activities, there is such kind of thrill that you can't control in some way! 




After an hour and a half drive, we finally reached the base camp where we had to register again before we were allowed to go to the lava area. 




From the camp, we had to trek for 10-15 minutes to reach the lava area. It's elevated and looks like the city government put a wall to ensure rocks won't fall off but our guide, Kuya Romy, said it's not a wall constructed but that's how the rocks were formed after the eruption. 








When we reached the lava area, the feeling of being able to conquer the volcano possessed me. It was just a thought, I knew it but I felt like I already conquered the volcano just by setting my feet on the volcano's lava base. 

MayonVolcano's foot with lava area

The volcano erupted twice in the past 10 years: in 2006 and 2009. Those eruptions created a lava base down on its own foot and this attracts tourists. It just feels so good to touch and hold a lava except one that comes out fresh from a volcanic eruption as that would definitely burn you to death. Our guide witnessed the 2006 eruption and he saw how the lava came out from the mouth of the volcano, how it passed through the outer surface and went down the slope.  The way he described the details into pieces, it felt so real as if it was happening on that very moment. I guess if there would be other choice, I would never build a house near a volcano. 

Lava from 2006 volcanic eruption
Zipline Cable

After spending several minutes at the lava area, we trek back to the site. There is an option to avail the zipline service  at the lava area for 300 php.  It's just a short cable at probably around 300 meters so I feel that's quite expensive. 


On our way back to the ATV camp, we met other ATV tourists on their way to the lava front base.























Going to the lava area is also accessible not just through a single or double-seater ATV. One can also ride on a 4x4 vehicle to reach the base of the volcano. However, our guide said it's a bit expensive to rent said vehicle. So if you're on a tight budget, ATV is the best choice. Besides, it's more fun driving the ATV!






Summer is FUN, I know that but what made it more fun is the best summer treat I ever got  -the ATV tour. It was like a dream come true and I was happy, really happy. There was that feeling of fulfillment similar to what I got when I reached the peak of Mt Apo last February. 




Now that I drove a vehicle the first time, next on my list is to learn how to drive. I can't wait for my next adventure: a driving lesson @ Smart driving school :) 

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento